Sunday, April 22, 2007

I’m not just traveling over here.

I am taking 8 classes at Czech Tech University. Studio is going well; I am designing a house in a former Soviet missile bunker. Above is an image of the 3D model I am making from the outside and below an interior view. The bedrooms, garage and family room are in the bunkers below and other living spaces are above in the lighter structure above.

Photography class has been interesting; dad gave me his SLR camera that is as old as Abi to learn how to use a “real camera” as my teacher calls it. The photos I have been showing you are a part of that class. This is one of my favorites.

In my art and architecture class I have been working on a watercolor of the image below. Next I am going to use color pastels and then do a charcoal drawing and step by step make it more abstract.
I call Creative Components and Detailing in Architecture = Doodling because that’s what we do during class. Usually people doodle when the teacher is boring, but in this case he talks for and hour (without stopping) and we doodle. I wasn’t loving this class until last week when he actually liked some of my doodles. I usually don’t doodle so it has been hard for me to start. Below is one that for some reason he liked, I’m not sure why. We draw it all by hand but I put this one on the computer. We have to turn in 3 doodles, one can be purely a design but the others are suppose to be a stained glass window, a heating grate or something real.

For History of Architecture we go on a lot of field trips to historic places in Prague. At the end of the semester I have to write a paper about how Italy is in Prague. When Prague was at it’s peak the people in charge brought Italian artist and builders to Prague to design important places. These places have been left the way they were because right after the peak of Prague’s history a sharp decline came and no one wanted to finance an expensive change to the buildings. Things have changed some since the tourist boom in the late 90’s. Here is a church that experienced this peak- it was beautiful.
In Czech Culture and Czech Language I am learning a little about Czech people and why they are the way they are and also how to say little things like “Dobry den, anglicky, prosim?” “Good day, (can we talk in) English, please?”

And finally, in my Computer Graphics class we are using the Adobe programs to design simple exercises and for the final we are designing one large thing. I choose to design my portfolio (so I can get a job in the real world). I have a quick portfolio, called a teaser, and now I’m working on a professional looking one for my large 14x17 portfolio. Below is one of the smaller exercises I did. We were supposed to change an image of ourselves. So I took this photo and highlighted what I wanted you to see. There is me with my reddish hair and smile and the Prague castle in the background…Emily in Prague.

No comments: