Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Trip #4: Athens and Santorini, Greece

Because the cheapest airline tickets are at the worst time, Brittany and I started our trip to Greece with a really late flight, 11:50 pm. We arrived in Athens before the metro started running so we hung out in the airport for a couple of hours before heading to our hostel. We dropped off our bags and started sight seeing. Wednesday we saw the Agora, ancient ruins at the foot of the Acropolis, and then had some Greek food, and a much needed nap. In the evening, we did most of our souvenir shopping. Since Greece is so much different then the other places I have traveled in Europe I did a lot of souvenir shopping. The best part was bargaining with the shops, Brittany starting calling it the Hagy Haggle… I got pretty good at it.
Thursday we took the hard path to the Acropolis- unintentionally. It was a rather warm day but luckily I bought a hat with a big brim so I kept out of the sun. I went the whole trip without getting burnt, I am very proud of myself. The Acropolis had a lot of reconstruction going on so Brit and I were disappointed. But it was good to see it in person since we studied it in history class. Thursday night the Benaki Museum was open late for a free entrance fee, which worked perfectly for us. Athens was a great city for European students because the entrance fee for every museum we went to was free. Because I am studying in the Czech Republic I saved at least 50 Euro. Students Cards from the US, only got you 50% off.
We also went to Applebee’s for dinner; Brittany and I were in need of some American food. It’s been 3 months and I am really starting to miss food from home. We ordered the nachos- amazing!! They don’t know what nachos are here; every time I see it on the menu it tricks me. They really mean chips and salsa not nachos which to me means melted cheese, it defines nachos…usually in the Czech Republic there isn’t even any cheese!! Anyway, it’s a little strange that my friends and I travel to other countries in Europe to get US things. Like Starbucks in Vienna, I really needed a cai latte, they don’t have those in the Czech Republic either. We try to blend in when we are in Prague, we don’t go to all of the tourist spots, but when we are in another country for some reason we don’t care if we blend in.
Friday we saw the rest of Athens, another big museum, saw the stadium where the Olympics were held a few years ago (designed by Santiago Calatrava, famous Spanish Architect) walked around the historic part of town, and bought some books to read for our trip to Santorini.
Saturday we got up early and headed to the port to catch the ferry to Santorini Island. It’s an 8 hour trip!! That’s a long time on a ferry. At least it’s a good view. When we arrived we checked into our hotel and went to dinner and took a walk on the beach. The hotel was on the black beach, I was hard to walk on because the sand is more like gravel.

The other beach on the island is a red beach, the receptionist told us it was “a little rocky”. We decided we should go and see it, when the bus dropped us off we were like “where’s the beach”, the ocean was right there, but no beach. We started walking after the crowd, and eventfully found it. By a little rocky she meant A CLIFF!! It was beautiful, but I didn’t think my knee would enjoy the climb down to the beach. Brittany and I decided to go back to the black beach where I got myself an umbrella. The rest of the time on the island we chilled out by the pool and read our books, watched the sunset, and walked around the cute little town.
Tuesday we got back on the ferry and then took a taxi to the airport. We had planned on taking the bus, but there was a strike and the metro and busses were not running. We also found out that even the post office was on strike. It’s been a long last two days of travel blended together, but it was all lot of fun.

No comments: